WIDE-GRIP LAT PULLDOWN
Caution: As with the close-grip lat pulldown, it is NOT recommended that you attempt the behind-the-neck variation as it can result in rotator cuff injury.
- Attach a wide-bar to the top pulley of a pulldown machine. Ensure the knee pad is adjusted correctly for your height.
- Grip the bar with your hands wide apart (more than shoulder width apart) and palms facing away from you.
- Stick your chest out and push your torso back to make a slight curve at your lower back.
- Exhale and pull the bar downwards towards your upper chest while retracting your shoulder blades. As the bar reaches your chest, squeeze your back muscles tightly while keeping your torso still. Make sure the forearms are not tensed, they should just hold the bar, not assist with pulling it.
- Pause for a moment, breathe in and allow the bar to return steadily to the top until your arms are fully extended once more. You should feel a stretch in your lat muscles.
- Repeat for the required number of reps and sets.